Platform - Desktop
Linux is a family of thousands of operating systems based on the Linux kernel. Linux itself is not an operating system, it is a computer kernel that works at the lowest of the operating system, and provides basic hardware services. Linux is everywhere, it will be in your mobile phone, computer, home appliance, car, television etc. According to our analysis, the vast majority of Linux operating systems (or Linux distributions) are installed on server computers around the world, even more than 50% of all websites on the Internet use the Linux operating system on their computer servers.
Linux distributions are not popular among personal computers, but still it stands behind Windows and macOS.
Popular Linux operating systems (or distribution / distro)
Some of the most known in the world are:
Notable Linux features
- Multitasking: Multiple computer programs execute and run at the same time.
- Multiuser: Multiple users can use system resources at the same time.
- Multiprocessing: Support more than one CPU / processor in the system.
- Strong Security: A very safe operating system for server computers.
- Live USB / CD: Run OS from flash drive without installing it.
- Customizable: Install features according to needs.
- Graphical User Interface: Desktop-Oriented Linux Distros provide beautiful graphical environments.
- High performance: Linux is faster (and can be much faster) than Microsoft Windows.
- Virtual memory
- Hierarchical File System
- Multilingual: Use the Linux graphical environment in your native language.
- Portable: Works on various computing hardware in the same way.
- Apps: Download, install and use a wide range of apps in the Linux operating system.
- Open source: Customize the source code, and reuse it.
- Free: Almost all Linux distributions are free.
- Linux is used on the web servers and work computers of stock exchanges, government organizations, educational institutions, scientific institutions (such as space stations), supercomputers and large technical companies such as Google, Facebook, Apple.
- The name of 'Linux' is not named by Linus Torvalds.
- Linux is the largest open source software project in the world.
- The trademark 'Linux' is owned by its creator Linus Torvalds.
Recent uploads in Linux
CloudReady 78.4 Stable Home Edition (Dec, 2019) 64-bit ISO Disk Image Free Download4.3
elementary OS 5.1 (Hera - Dec, 2019) Desktop 64-bit ISO Disk Image Free Download4.7
Kali Linux 2019.4 (Nov, 2019) Desktop 32-bit, 64-bit ISO Disk Image Free Download4.9
Up to 3.07 GB
Debian 10 Buster (10.2.0 - Nov, 2019) 32-bit, 64-bit ISO Disk Image Free Download4.4
Up to 4.37 GB
CloudReady 78.3 Stable Home Edition (Nov, 2019) 64-bit ISO Disk Image Free Download4.5
Manjaro Linux 18.1.3 Stable (Juhraya - Nov, 2019) 64-bit Official ISO Download4.4
Up to 2.45 GB
Manjaro Linux 18.1.2 Stable (Juhraya - Oct, 2019) 64-bit Official ISO Download4.5
Up to 2.43 GB
Fedora 31 (October, 2019) Workstation 64-bit Official ISO Disk Image Download4.3
Ubuntu 19.10 (Eoan Ermine - October, 2019) Desktop 64-bit Official ISO Disk Image Download4.5
Manjaro Linux 18.1.1 Stable (Juhraya - Oct, 2019) 64-bit ISO Disk Image Free Download4.5
Up to 2.39 GB