Developer - Community
Platform - Desktop
OS Family - Linux
Mageia is a free and open source Linux operating system, started as a fork of Mandriva Linux. It is currently available for desktops and servers, and is development and maintenance is handled by the community. Mageia is said to be a stable and secure operating system, which aims to become and maintain a reliable and recognized community in the world of free software.
KDE Plasma is the desktop environment in Mageia OS, but it comes with all the major desktop environments available in various installation files. Mageia providing a huge repository of software, such as productivity apps and a variety of games. The default installation which is packed with essential apps we need to work and entertain like Firefox web browser, LibreOffice, GIMP, VLC media player, and more.
Features of Mageia
Some of the notable features of Mageia are:
- All Linux features.
- Mageia offers a huge repository of software.
- You can choose between multiple desktop environments such as KDE Plasma, GNOME, or XFCE.
- Useful apps are pre-installed, such as LibreOffice (Office software), Firefox (web browser), VLC media player (media player).
- Live session.
- Free and open source.
- Mageia was forked from the Mandriva Linux distribution.
- Mageia is a community project, supported by many companies worldwide.
- Mageia can use all major desktop environments.